Saturday, July 13, 2013

Umm... Who am I?

     Hi guys! If you don't already know, my name is Beth. I'm a student at IU. And... I'm not sure what else I am. Sure there are things that I am, like a daughter and a sister, a singer and an actor. But when people ask who I am, I've always said a student. I expect after I finish school and start my career, I'll say that I'm an anthropologist. But it seems so far away.
     When you start school, teachers tell you that school is your job. You are a student like they are a teacher. And this goes on for twelve years: at your core, you are a student. And then you reach my age where you could very well have started your career instead of going on to college, and people start asking who you are. We live in a world where your job is your identity. So my answer to them is "I'm a student".
     Imagining myself as anything else seems so strange. It feels almost like imagining myself as a different person. I've still got a lot of schooling to go. But I've realized something. As an anthropologist, I want to discover and learn new things. So maybe even after I've "grown up" and can no longer call myself a student, in a sense, I will always be one anyway.

Best wishes.
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment